The emonTx is an low power RF remote sensor node. Data is transmitted to an emonPi or an emonBase via a low power 433MHz radio.
- 4 x single-phase current sense (CT) channels
- 1 x AC VRMS Channel
- Supports multiple temperature sensors
- Supports Optical Pulse Sensor
- Can be powered single AC-AC adaptor (DC PSU not required)
- Battery power option
- RF Range is approximately similar to home WiFi (real world range depends on many factors e.g. thick stone walls)
- Up to 2x emonTx can be connected to a single emonPi (up to 30x is possible with manual RF node ID setting*)
- Approximate three-phase possible with firmware update
- Wall-mount option
Note: it is possible to use emonTx ‘standalone’ (without emonPi / emonBase) with the addition of an ESP8266 WiFi module running EmonESP to post directly to Emoncms. See Using emonTx with the ESP8266 WiFi module
* More than 2x emonTx units can be connected to a single emonPi / emonBase with manual change of RF nodeID. This can be done This can be done via serial node ID config
1. DIP Switch Config
- If more than one emonTx is to be used with the same base-station set the node ID using the on-board DIP switches.
- USA mode can also be toggled using DIP switches
2. Install Sensors
- Install clip on CT(s) on circuit to be monitored Follow CT installation instructions. and plug into emonTx jack plug sockets
- CT 1-3 are standard 100A / 24KW max CT inputs (@240V)
- CT 4 is a special high sensitivity input for 19A / 4.6KW (@240V)
- Recomended 100A SCT-013-00 CT sensors should be used
- (Optional) Plug in temperature sensor(s) and optical pulse count sensor
3. Power Up
- Power emonTx directly from an AC-AC adapter (additional DC adapter not required)
- Or alternatively power via 3 x AA batteries.
- All sensors should be connected before power up
4. Indicator LED
- Illuminates solid for a 10 seconds on first power up
- Flash multiple times to indicate an AC-AC waveform has been detected (if powering via AC-AC adapter)
- Flash once every 10s to indicate sampling and RF transmission interval
An emonTx can be powered by 3 x AA batteries; however, if possible, it is recommended to power the unit with an AC-AC adapter to provide an AC voltage reference for more accurate Real Power and VRMS calculations.
Base-station Emoncms Setup
The emonTx is compatible with emonPi / emonBase. RF transmission from the emonTx should be picked up automatically and data should appear in local Emonms
If Remote logging has been setup, data will also be posted to Emoncms.org.
Note: if using more than two emonTx units (with custom RF node ID or modified firmware)
emonhub.conf node decoders will need to be setup.